Thursday, 10 August 2023

For Unity or Bigotry


Teluk Bahang Dam, Penang, Malaysia

Here we go again. An election in Malaysia in 2 days' time. State elections in 6 states, smaller but no less important, I’d say. We should’ve had them back in 2022 with the rest of the country, but no. Brinkmanship of the then-opposition leaders proves more important. Oi, how can we have an election in monsoon flood season??? But then, Malaysia went ahead with the general election and most of the states followed, with the exception of 6 opposition-controlled states. Now, 3 of the then-opposition states are part of the new Unity government, and the other 3 stayed separate as part of the Islamic party led, Malay-based opposition called the Perikatan Nasional (or PN). Now PN, like the previous ‘government’, is playing the racial and religious card to try to get more votes. They’re going all out for votes, screw unity, peace or harmony.

The problem is that most outstation voters won’t have an inclination to head back home this time for a vote in a state election, especially as it’s less than a year from the last General Election. And the bulk of the ‘Unity’ people, ARE incidentally the people who work outstation and mingle with people of other races in their work and lives. What the heck! Will Unity lose? I hope not. I like how this new Unity government is functioning, dismantling the hatred and divisions which the previous governments have fomented all those years before.

Anyway, Penang is one of the states involved, and I hope the Unity people come out stronger than before. Here’re some mix and match photos of Penang (I love these opportunities. When else would I post these, if not?) God bless Malaysia!


From the Teluk Bahang Dam, you could see the Escape theme park (the one with the water slides) and Entopia, the Butterfly Park (on the right)


Father and sons discussing something, Teluk Bahang Dam, Penang, 2019 – I remember having a splitting headache that day, with vomiting… It was bad. Must be all the bugs I touched at Entopia (the butterfly farm) and then had lunch without washing my hands. Hey, it was before COVID, OK? Who’d known that some pesky bugs could do so much harm?!?!


And these were the kids in 2019, see how teeny they were – Jayden, Justin and Stacey. This was dinner right after our day out in Escape. Those asam (tamarind) prawns look yummy!


In 2019, we took a train from KL to Butterworth, instead of flying. The kids enjoyed it


“You have reached your destination” – 9 year+ old Justin at Butterworth Railway Station. How they’ve grown now


The old Penang ferry was still running at that time. I like these vehicle-carrying old ferries, the new ones just don’t feel the same (not that I've tried the new ones yet)


Street food extravaganza!!! One of dad and Hazel’s favourite eating place in Penang – New Lane at Jalan Macalister – this was in 2019


The famous Char Koay Teow, if you don't mind the long queue!


The same street in 2022 – Nothing much’s changed as you can see!


A catholic church at Jalan Macalister, Penang


A view from Gurney Plaza – you could see Penang Hill on the right, rising above the city


And finally, a spruced-up canal at the Sia Boey Urban Archaeological Park, with the restored old Prangin Market (that empty structure, painted in green) on the right, Penang, 2022

May Unity Prevail!

No comments: