Saturday, 3 April 2021

A Time for Reflection

It’s Easter. (It’s also the tomb sweeping festival of the Chinese i.e. Qingming, a day to pay respect to one’s ancestors who’ve passed away). I think I’ll put photos of a church. Wishing all who celebrate, a Happy and Blessed Easter. May you reflect on the blessings and grace you’ve received from God and continue to choose to do good to others so that we may have a better world. God bless you all.



Here’s the Holy Trinity Cathedral of Tbilisi (commonly known as Sameba), Georgia. Technically though, this church does not celebrate Easter till about a month later as it’s an Orthodox church which follows the older Julian calendar. But I don’t think anyone will mind some photos of churches on a time like this… (or will there?!?)

The Sameba Church was built quite recently, and completed only in the current 21st century (2004 was the year of its consecration, …sez Wikipedia). It is now the mother church of the Georgian Orthodox Church.

There is one famous Georgian though, whom I think would not be very happy with this new church – Josef Stalin, the Soviet dictator of the World War 2 era. When he was running the Soviet Union, he oversaw the destruction of many churches, mosques and temples in his communist government’s anti-religious drive. Luckily, he isn’t buried in Georgia. Or he’d be turning in his grave.






Sameba (Holy Trinity Cathedral), Tbilisi, Aug 2018


Everywhere is a playground for the kids… JUSTIIINN, JAAYDENNN! COME!


Entrance gateway of the Sameba






Interiors of the Sameba – with towering columns and the dome high above


Offerings to baby Jesus and Mother Mary


Who’s this? I dunno, it’s all Greek to me (or in this case, Georgian)...


Here’s another Georgian orthodox church for good measure, the Metekhi Church, also in Tbilisi, Georgia

Have a blessed weekend.

No comments: