Shrine of Fatimah Masumeh, Holy City of Qom, Iran
Eid Al-Adha Mubarak! Selamat Hari Raya Haji! And Happy Holidays to everyone (who’s staying in the Muslim world)!
A little late, but better late than never, right?
Up to my neck with work, so here’s another quick picture post (yes, again). Putting pictures of a mosque / shrine in Iran for the Eid festivities.
The city of Qom is the de facto religious capital of Iran. Its large number of seminaries, religious institutes and universities on Shia Islam makes it the main place where Ayatollahs (clerics of Shi’a Islam) are trained and produced. At the heart of Qom, is the Shrine of Fatimah Masumeh, a revered figure in Shia Islam. I could go on (if I have time), but what the heck, read it yourself in Wikipedia, OK? Besides, it’ll bore the bejesus outta you if you ain’t interested in religion and stuff like that. Moreover, I have tons of work waiting for me to tackle. Here goes!
The Fatimah Masumeh Shrine on a snowy day, Qom, Iran Dec 2016 (Yes! It snowed when we reached Qom, but the snowflakes disappeared as soon as they landed!)




Muqarnas of various finishes and colours on the many arch entrances of the shrine – there’re gold ones, mirrored ones, white ones, multi-coloured ones, you name it, you get it!

Why is Anu wearing a curtain?!? Rules are rules. Women who want to enter the shrine compound have to wear chadors (full body-length cloaks extending from head to toe for women). Chadors are mostly black, and Iranian women all wear black chadors. (In fact, chadors actually look better in black). Foreigners who ‘stray’ into the shrine are made to wear chadors of whatever pattern they can find, and hence, …the curtain

The shrine compound is filled with people and pilgrims. Foreigners like us can enter the shrine compound (for free), but cannot enter the shrine itself

Shia clerics are a dime a dozen here
2 comments:
Gary, it look so similar dengan Masjid Wilayah, Kuala Lumpur
Ya ke? I've not personally visited Masjid Wilayah, but I've seen it in your post, like mixed Turkish & Iranian. I think now modern Islamic architecture borrows from all Islamic cultures in the world lah, huh?
Post a Comment