Saturday, 2 April 2016

On Holy Ground


The Baptism Site, Bethany beyond the Jordan, Jordan

OK, an Easter-themed post for a change. This is a first I think. I’ve done loads of posts on Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim and Chinese festivals, and of course Christmas, but never one on Easter. Heck, I usually don’t even know that it’s Easter until someone tells me like, “Hey, did you not go to church on Easter?” “Huh? When was that? Last week?”

The problem with Easter is that it is unpredictable (for me anyway). I have no idea when Easter is (although I am supposed to be Christian). Sometimes it’s in March, sometimes April, how would one know huh? (Except if you go to church regularly, which unfortunately, is not the case here, with yours truly).

Back in Malaysia, I’d have my family to remind me, and since Easter is always on a Sunday, I’d go to church. I always make it a point to go to church on Easter. Hey, I have to at least make that effort twice in a year, right? (Easter and Christmas, ahem). Here, Sunday is a working day (OK, OK, OK, Friday is a public holiday here, and I can actually visit church on Good Friday, but I’d have to know about it in the first place, right?)

Anyway, Easter’s come and gone, and I was on a flight. …I was also on a flight the last 2 Christmases. …Hmmm, it looks like we fly a lot on Christian religious days. (Flying on Christmas day makes sense here in Dubai due to the large number of European/ Western expats going back to their home countries for Christmas and the winter school break. On Christmas day, they would all have gone, so the flights will typically be cheaper! Told ya we’re cheapskates, haha).

Here’re some photos of the Baptism Site, the supposed place where Jesus Christ was baptised by John the Baptist. No, I have no idea how they found the place after 2000+ years. But a lot of people believe it to be genuine, including the Pope. There’re explanations in the place on why it is very likely the baptism site i.e. remains of ancient churches, archaeological finds that matches the descriptions in the Bible, etc… It’d be too long to describe here, besides err I didn’t finish reading the placards. …Hey, I have to look after the kids, OK?


Another view of the Baptism Site


A shelter over the ruins of ancient churches overlooking the Baptism Site


Around the Visitor’s Centre (where the car park and ticket counter are located). All trips are conducted tours. A shuttle bus will pick tourists up from this place and drop them back after the tour. I guess they do that because we’d have to cross military checkpoints to get to the Baptism Site (hey, it’s stone’s throw away from the border with Palestine/ Israel, OK?) The Visitor’s Centre is very popular with the local flies. I dunno what can make so many flies gather in one location. It wasn’t particularly dirty or smelly, I don’t see any livestock around, but the flies absolutely love this place. Maybe they’re a remnant of the 10 plagues of God?!? Watch out for the dustbins!




The River Jordan – East Bank vs West Bank, they’re really that close! We’re on the East Bank. The modern buildings with the flags (of which one of them is the Israeli flag) is on the West Bank.




Justin, by the River Jordan


I can bloody wade across, …if they don’t shoot me first


People on the West Bank, Palestine / Israel








John the Baptist Church, a Greek Orthodox Church beside the Jordan River


A wooden bridge at the Baptism Site

No comments: