Hello! I'm back. Today is Sunday, my favourite day of the week (coz I don't need to work, usually, and I can sleep late, usually). This month marks my 2nd annivesary of my stay in Gurgaon, India. The climates have changed from cold to pleasant, becoming hotter everyday. The mosquitoes are on their way back from hibernation, or wherever they go during the winter. My job still sucks (actually it ain't that bad, the groove is slowly returning each and everyday hehe). I am still sorting through the more than 1200 CVs of job applicants, and have not decided who to employ. Unfortunately NONE of the applicants are girls, believe it or not!!!
Besides that, slight changes have taken place since I first set foot in Gurgaon. Oh don't worry about the animals, the cows, the pigs, the donkeys, horses, buffaloes and camels are still having a helluva time around. The scenery in front of my apartment is no longer an expanse of green field (yellow in summer) dotted by huts and shelters of construction workers. It is now blocked by a rapidly rising shopping complex due to complete by end 2006. The drivers surprisingly, don't honk as often as they do (they still drive on the wrong side of the road when circumstances demand, which happen pretty often). The trucks still like to use their headlights high beams to shine the shit out of you at night (maybe those trucks don't come with low beams, who knows?) The people are less in awe of the escalators, they no longer cause traffic jams at the head of escalators. They no longer call the lift down by pressing the 'down' button when they want to go up. My cook is getting better by the day (or I'm getting more used to the cooking by the day). Pretty girls are still hard to come by, except on tv, magazines, or if you linger around posh restaurants in 5 star hotels. I am still single and unattached. My Hindi still sucks. My English is slowly getting Indianized. In India, people expire instead of die, pass-away, pass-on, etc. Transvestites are called eunuchs, even if they still have their balls attached. Water heaters are called geysers. Air-cons are always referred to as ACs, never as air-cons. Goggles do not only refer to the ones that have elastic straps for swimming, etc; they also mean sunglasses or shades. Grass (as in the one you smoke) still grows wild in the dividers and road sides of Delhi (although they've tried to clean it up last year). And i still have the luxury of a 3000 sq ft office with stacks of work on my 'keep-in-view' tables all to myself (coz my one and only colleague is still on leave due to the 'expiry' of his father).
And I better get started on Myanmar before I run out of steam.
Day 1 - All around Taipei
6 years ago
2 comments:
I think I won't mind visiting Delhi while you are still there. Of course, who knows how long you'll be there. Yeah, the place is dirty, the food so-so, the crowd maddening but at least the place is interesting.
this place is actually quite interesting I agree, despite the filth and the weird things ppl do here. Do lemme know if you wanna come again, k?
Post a Comment