Monday, 10 March 2025

A Ramadan Without the Perks


A mosque near our home in Dubai Motor City, the Hassan Abbas Sharbatly Mosque. (How do I even know its name? There’s a thing called Google Maps, you know? Hehe)

Ramadan Kareem everyone. It’s my favourite month of the year, …Ramadan! Except that this year, it’s almost like business as usual. Thanks to my company for asking me to ‘help-out’ at a new project we’ve just obtained, a new bridge across the Dubai Creek. Although, I am not officially in the new project team, ‘helping out’ means I have to comply with the project timings, which means working on Saturdays, and not getting shorter Ramadan working hours. Unless I’m fasting, which I’m not… (Shall I fast?? Since it’s also Lent. Nah, why commit myself to something I don’t think I can keep??) I sure hope my company remembers my ‘sacrifices’.

Meanwhile, here’re photos of some local mosques for the season… May you have a blessed month of reflection and spirituality. Ramadan Mubarak, Selamat Berpuasa…


Another mosque next to our home, the Union Properties Mosque. (Union Properties is the developer of our building and community)


A mosque in Dubai’s Business Bay (the Sheikh Rashid Al Maktoum Mosque according to Google Maps), where I looked at, and drove past, every weekday, for 4 months!


That’s the same mosque viewed from my office, The Opus Tower, aka the office with a view! Too bad, it only lasted 4 months (Nov 2022 – Feb 2023) before we were kicked off to a site office once again…


The same view, on a drizzly night, Bay Avenue, Dubai Business Bay. Yeah, sometimes, when you gotta work at night, you gotta work at night!


Another mosque from work… let’s see Google Maps… there it is! The Sheikh Rashid bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Mosque… (Wow, long name, can’t help it, the royal family is big…), Al Quoz 1, Dubai, 2019. I drove past this mosque every day, for nearly 2 years, while I was in the ITS2020 Project. Witnessed it being built, till it opened to the public


A mosque at the Dubai’s Nursery Area, Warsan 3, where Dubai’s residents shop for plants and garden stuff… the Masjid Amina bint Wahab. This is only but 1 of the many mosques in this area


The Ibn Battuta Gate with a mosque in front (Al Rostamani Mosque), at Jebel Ali. A view from Dubai Festival Plaza


Oh, and this little mosque. This isn’t in Dubai, but in Shawka, our regular campsite, Ras Al Khaimah, UAE


And finally, leaving again (this is the second time I’ve posted photos of this), a photo of one of the more unique looking mosques in Dubai, …Al Salam Masjid in Al Barsha, Dubai, UAE.

That’s it for now mates. Quick post finished. Enjoy your Ramadan!

No comments: