
The Merlion, at Marina Bay, Singapore
We’re back! From our Malaysia home trip with short stopovers in India and Singapore. Two weeks is too darn short, now that it’s done. Still having holiday blues, and tired with jet lag. Guess I’ll put up some leftover Singapore photos of our last family visit in July 2022, while I sort out the photos of our latest home trip. Here goes.

Marina Bay Sands, Singapore
No, there’re no lions in Singapore. Although Singapore literally means ‘Lion City’ (in Malay), lions have never existed in this tropical island, nor anywhere in South East Asia. But, there’re legends, and statues, and symbols, and dances, and what-have-you, all about the mighty lion! I guess these were borrowed from India through the Hindu and Buddhist epics and stories, when South East Asia adopted these religions.
And so it is with Singapore, when a Malay prince in the 13th century (whom I assume would never have seen a real lion before, …unless he ventured to India, the Middle East, or Africa, which I doubt), saw a ‘lion’ on the shores of this island, and decided to establish a kingdom with its namesake on the island! Nobody knows what he really saw, was it a tiger? Or a bear? Or a Chimera? Or some silly Chinese people in a lion-dance costume? (which I doubt happened at that time).
Anyway, fast-forward to the 1960’s when Singapore became independent, and the inhabitants of the lion-less ‘Lion City’ were trying to find their identity, some smart alec thought, “Hey, what the heck! Since we’re a maritime port and a ‘lion’ city (without a lion), why don’t we combine the two?” And Voila! The Merlion was born. That’s how you create a mythical creature, folks!

The Jubilee Bridge at Marina Bay, Singapore. Do you see the Merlion? It’s at the far end of the bridge

Jason was our guide for the night…

Anu at the Jubilee Bridge, Marina Bay, Singapore

A walk in the rain, by the Singapore River

Smile! Cavenagh Bridge, Singapore River

Boat going under the Anderson Bridge, on the Singapore River

And here’s something from Nov 2022, when I dropped Justin off in Singapore to start schooling – catching up with an old friend, Raymond Ho, at Dian Xiao Er Restaurant, in NEX, Serangoon. Thanks, Raymond, for the treat!

Bye-bye, till the next post. The Butterfly Garden in Changi Airport’s Terminal 3
No comments:
Post a Comment