Tuesday, 16 August 2022

Becoming Indian, Almost

Whew… I’m back from a 3 week break home to Malaysia++ (that plus-plus sign will be explained later). Right after coming back, I found, to my surprise, that our usually slow relaxed and stubborn bureaucratic head office, has transformed into a madhouse. Heck, they’re on panic mode! Working thru nights and on weekends and they’re trying to drag everyone along with it. Double heck!

And all that just because of some sort of audit from China (it must be some serious-shit audit, or those bureaucrats there at our office wouldn’t have budged…). Anyway, as a result, yours truly have been slogging over reams of god-damn financial records for the past 2 weeks, trying to figure out how they all piece together. At the expense of my other, ‘more important’ work (according to me) and family (talk about hell).

I’ll have to leave my story of our recent home trip (which took us on 11 flights, through 11 different airports, in 7 different countries) till later, ahem. Meanwhile, here’s a short photo post to keep the blog alive, till I find some time. These are photos I’ve collected earlier, of last year’s friends and gatherings, which I wanted to post before I went on leave, but… It’s better late than never, huh? Gotta think of a way to catch up on posting…

Last year was basically an extended COVID lock down year with the Dubai Expo2020 brightening up an otherwise drab year. Our gatherings were mostly during the Indian festivals towards the end of the year when restrictions were less strict. Luckily, we were still able to mingle and stay in touch with friends. Thank you, God, for continuing to bless us with friends and fellowship. See for yourself!


Red vs Black – a gathering with old frens at the Jebel Ali Village Recreation Club, Apr 2021 – with Roby, Madhavi and Jasna. They’re all from the expat Indian community, born and brought up in Dubai. Hey, what’s with the red? Valentines ain’t in April!?


Here’re the kids! Justin’s Year 1 classmates Aria and Mashel, and also Aria’s younger sister Viva who is Jayden’s age – Jebel Ali Recreation Club


Summer break’s coming up! It’s the end of the School Year. Here’s a school party at Bounce, a trampoline park in Dubai – Justin with 2 of his Year 6 classmates, Nikita from Russia (right) and ummm, don’t really know the name of the girl (Justin never talks about any of the girls in his class...), Jun 2021


Here’s Justin’s Year 6 Class Teacher, Ms Harland Tither from the UK and Moaz, another of Justin’s classmate, who’s from Egypt. Hmmm, I remember Anu taking a lot more photos including photos of Ms Harland and Justin together, but I found only this one?!? Bummer, I must have accidentally left out a huge chunk of photos when transferring photos from Anu’s phone into the hard disk. I found very few photos from June – July months of last year… Now, they’re gone for good…


More bouncing fun coming up… with the parents joining in this time! This is Bounce-X Dubai. The mothers (Madhavi, Jasna and Anu) decided on a play date where they’d also play! (What about the fathers? It's not like we could sit around and enjoy a mug of beer while waiting?!?) In the middle of the photo is Jasna and Anu trying to out-bounce each other. Madhavi is on the left playing ball with her younger daughter, Viva. The one lying down I’m sure is Jayden, up to his usual antics… Jul, 2021


Just like that and summer’s gone! School starts again. This is Ms Mariesa Ford, Jayden’s Year 3 class teacher. (Nope, I don’t have a pic of his Year 2 teacher, Ms Rachel White). This photo was taken at the end of last year, when restrictions were less strict and when parents could actually visit schools

Let the festivals begin! And here's what we did during the festivals towards the end of the year.


Ganesh Chaturthi, Sep 2021 – At our Maharashtrian neighbour Milind’s house. We decided to go traditional, while our Maharashtrian friends stayed casual, hah! But at least, there’s a Maharashtrian cap to go! Justin and Jayden, with Mihir (right) and Arul


Durga Puja, Oct 2021 – Our friends visited us. Anu with Madhavi, Jasna and Madhavi’s family’s dog… Stacey, if I’m not mistaken


The Festival of Lights, Nov 2021 – A Diwali dinner at another neighbour’s house – That’s Bhavna, the lady of the house and her daughter Dyuti


And this is the host, Umesh Aggarwal with yours truly. Thanks for the treat mate!


Another neighbour – KP Singh and wife, Abha


Here’re their kids – Shreya and Advika (right)


At Milind's house, Anu with Milind’s wife Rajeshri (right) and their housekeeper (left) on Diwali


Our neighbor Milind Padhare, on Bhai Dooj, which comes right after Diwali / Deepavali, at our home


Finally, it’s the end of the year. Celebrating Justin’s birthday with some of his classmates staying nearby! The boy in red is Jamal (who’s a Kyrgyz national) but speaks only English at home, like Justin, because his dad is Saudi and mom is Kyrgyz and they don’t speak each other’s language. There’re lots of kids like that in Dubai! The other 3 are brothers, Moaz (centre), Malik (left) and Musab (right) from Egypt. Moaz and Malik are both in Year 7 this year, although Moaz is a year older than Malik. That’s normal also, Moaz just started school at a later age. Justin and Jayden are 5 years apart in age, but only 4 years apart academically, because Jayden started school at a younger age… Musab is Jayden’s age

And that’s it for the time being… Now, what other photos have I collected earlier to let me do another express post???...

No comments: