Thursday, 7 January 2021

A Cathedral of a Beach


Cathedral Cove, NZ – “Umm… so where’s the cathedral? Oh, it’s just a name izit?” And I thought there’d be a cathedral…

But what the heck, it’s still a nice place to visit, …that is if you like to walk a bit. It’s a friggin 1.7km walk thru some pretty nice trail from the nearest car park. If the car park is full (and it’ll be, in peak season around Christmas), you’ll have to park further down the road… (I turned out walking a further 0.6km… just for the friggin car park)

By the way, it’s Christmas again! Orthodox Christmas for that matter, for churches using the old Julian Calendar. It’s celebrated by, among other people, the Russians, the Ethiopians and the Coptic Christians (Egyptian Christians), and there are more than a handful of these people in the UAE. That's part of the beauty of the UAE, ...the diversity!

Therefore I’m putting up another picture post of what we did in the Christmas season, …this time from 2 years back, on our family trip to New Zealand in Dec 2018. This was a continuation of our trip to Hot Water Beach. Here’re the photos.


So is THIS the cathedral?? No one seems to know… Google Maps calls it the Te Hoho Rock, so I guess it’s not the ‘cathedral’ unless Te Hoho means cathedral in Maori?!? - Cathedral Cove, North Island, New Zealand

We figured the 1.7 km hike under a bright afternoon sun would be a li’l too much for little baby sister Skye. So, Daniel (Kim’s husband, not dad – both are Daniels by the way) took little Skye to the beach in Hahei instead.


That, down below, is Hahei, view from my walk from where I parked the car, to the start of the trail to Cathedral Cove


Views from the trail – you can see Cathedral Cove on the left, see that Te Hoho rock?


Fabulous weather, by the way…


A plaque here says New Zealand World War I Memorial Forest …I didn’t know World War I came anywhere near New Zealand?!?


Fooling around is part of the fun – Gangsta Kim! … How can I resist not posting this?!? (Shhh… I remember Kim forbade Anu from posting any photos of this trip, as she ran out of clothes and had to make do with her pyjamas! But Kim seldom reads this blog, haha)


“Monkeys” on a tree! Their names are Justin, Jared and Jayden, hehe


We reached Cathedral Cove! Or is this Mares Leg Cove? (It's a little confusing looking at Google Maps)


Time for photos! First the girls… Kim, Hazel, Anu


Then the boys…


The other side of the cave! I think this is the actual Cathedral Cove


Heading back to Auckland after a tiring day on 2 different beaches… on the Tairua Road, about 1.7km before Hikuai


More fooling around?!? Papa on a …‘what-the-heck-is-that?’ At a gas station in Hikuai, Tairua Road, Coromandel Peninsula, North Island, NZ

No comments: