Since we’re on low places, here’s the lowest capital city in the world, Baku, capital of Azerbaijan. It is 28m below sea level. Don’t believe me, Google it!

Flame Towers, Baku, Azerbaijan
I’m doing another quick picture post. On the work front, I have suddenly been thrown back into the ITS Project fray… for reasons still unclear. I’ve been out of the ITS Project from May. The last 5 months have been a nice, refreshing less hectic time. I hear the project’s running OK, so why, oh why, disturb yours truly here???!!! Guess that’s good-bye to my alternate Saturdays off, for the time being… WTF!
Baku’s nickname is actually the City of Winds as it is supposedly windy all year round. Heck, Baku’s name is derived from its old Persian name, Badkube which means “Pounding winds”. But we only experienced the wind in all its fury on the third day, on the day we flew out of Baku back to Dubai. The first two days, was just a little breezy. Why I call it the City of Flames is because it is a city of oil and gas, its city symbol are flames, its most iconic building is the Flame Towers, which has dancing flames projected on it at night, it has a naturally burning hillside called Yanardag that’s permanently burning due to gas deposits underneath the surface, it has Zoroastrian fire temples, and it has mud volcanoes all over the place (yeah, you read correctly, mud friggin volcanoes)… I rest my case. Here’re the pictures.

Jayden playing aeroplane, by the shores of the Caspian Sea (Bulvar), Baku

The Caspian Sea, Baku

Azerbaijan flag pole, Bulvar, Baku

Mini-Venice, Baku

Maiden Tower, Old City, Baku – Is it part of the city fortification? Actually, no one knows for sure. Scholars now think it’s a religious structure… There’s a museum at the tower that explains it all, but… as usual, I didn’t read them, ahem

View of Baku from atop the Maiden Tower

City walls of the Old City (Icheri Sheher) – Our hotel was inside the walled city, where most of the roads are still cobblestone roads, cool huh?

Nizami Museum of Azerbaijan Literature – Anu looks like a giant standing beside some miniature humans. She’s actually atop the stairs, while the others are below

Fountains Square (Fevvareler Meydani), Baku, Azerbaijan

The bustling footpaths around Fountains Square – They’re all coloured beige by the way. Wonder what it is with Baku and the colour beige?

Philharmonic Fountain, Filarmoniya Park, Baku

Another well-known landmark of Baku, the Heydar Alivey Centre, designed by the renowned Iraqi-British architect Zaha Hadid

I HEART BAKU – This was the day, Baku lived up to its name, the wind-pounded city

Heydar Aliyev International Airport (Yup every other thing is named after Heydar Aliyev) – Bye-bye Baku, see ya again hopefully...
Flame Towers, Baku, Azerbaijan
I’m doing another quick picture post. On the work front, I have suddenly been thrown back into the ITS Project fray… for reasons still unclear. I’ve been out of the ITS Project from May. The last 5 months have been a nice, refreshing less hectic time. I hear the project’s running OK, so why, oh why, disturb yours truly here???!!! Guess that’s good-bye to my alternate Saturdays off, for the time being… WTF!
Baku’s nickname is actually the City of Winds as it is supposedly windy all year round. Heck, Baku’s name is derived from its old Persian name, Badkube which means “Pounding winds”. But we only experienced the wind in all its fury on the third day, on the day we flew out of Baku back to Dubai. The first two days, was just a little breezy. Why I call it the City of Flames is because it is a city of oil and gas, its city symbol are flames, its most iconic building is the Flame Towers, which has dancing flames projected on it at night, it has a naturally burning hillside called Yanardag that’s permanently burning due to gas deposits underneath the surface, it has Zoroastrian fire temples, and it has mud volcanoes all over the place (yeah, you read correctly, mud friggin volcanoes)… I rest my case. Here’re the pictures.

Jayden playing aeroplane, by the shores of the Caspian Sea (Bulvar), Baku
The Caspian Sea, Baku

Azerbaijan flag pole, Bulvar, Baku

Mini-Venice, Baku
Maiden Tower, Old City, Baku – Is it part of the city fortification? Actually, no one knows for sure. Scholars now think it’s a religious structure… There’s a museum at the tower that explains it all, but… as usual, I didn’t read them, ahem

View of Baku from atop the Maiden Tower

City walls of the Old City (Icheri Sheher) – Our hotel was inside the walled city, where most of the roads are still cobblestone roads, cool huh?

Nizami Museum of Azerbaijan Literature – Anu looks like a giant standing beside some miniature humans. She’s actually atop the stairs, while the others are below

Fountains Square (Fevvareler Meydani), Baku, Azerbaijan
The bustling footpaths around Fountains Square – They’re all coloured beige by the way. Wonder what it is with Baku and the colour beige?

Philharmonic Fountain, Filarmoniya Park, Baku

Another well-known landmark of Baku, the Heydar Alivey Centre, designed by the renowned Iraqi-British architect Zaha Hadid

I HEART BAKU – This was the day, Baku lived up to its name, the wind-pounded city

Heydar Aliyev International Airport (Yup every other thing is named after Heydar Aliyev) – Bye-bye Baku, see ya again hopefully...
No comments:
Post a Comment