Wednesday, 15 May 2019

The French Museum in Arabia


The Louvre Abu Dhabi

Ahem, again taking the easy way out of blogging. Since we’re at museums, here’s the most famous one in the UAE currently, the Louvre, Abu Dhabi!

It’s associated with the world famous Louvre Museum of Paris. Yup, even museums have franchises now!!! (The only recollection of my one visit to the Musée du Louvre in Paris in 1994, was waiting for the crowd to clear to see the Mona Lisa painting… All this hassle to see a painting of an unknown lady??? And what’s so grand about the Venus de Milo statue, it doesn’t even have hands?)

But I still like museums in general, coz I can hang around, look at strange things and waste my time… (I’m a lazy bum after all, who likes to be entertained, in whatever way…) The missus? You dunno how much coaxing we did to make her agree to visit the museum… (But I think, she quite likes this one...)

Here’re some of the exhibits. We got audio guides for the visit (for Justin and I), and I used it for about 3 exhibits before giving up… Hey, I have a 3 year old kid with me, OK? What d’ya think a 3 year old boy will do in a place full of strange odds and ends… Seriously, museums should think of how to keep toddlers entertained enough, so that they don’t put their itchy hands on the thousands of interesting “toys” on display…


A two-headed monster! …Nah, it’s actually the oldest statue known to mankind, dating back to friggin 6,500 BC! (How do I know? Friggin Google man!) …Does that prove that two headed Ettins actually existed?! (Ettins - giants from my fantasy role-playing days in the 80’s. …Remember Ultima IV?)


Some Egyptian artefact – Why is that Baboon looking at that poor chap? Is it an object from the Planet of the Apes??


Pharaoh Ramses II, the stony version


Umm …Is this a Sphinx?


Some Chinese dragon? Lizard? Maybe a baby dragon? – It’d be really interesting if something like in Night at the Museum happens, huh?


Someone’s paper weight from the past probably… Maybe my cellophane tape dispenser, or photo frame of my wife and kid would be in a museum 2,000 years from now? Who knows?


It’s a …Monster? Mask? Alien? With a fish in its head? Maybe it’s one of those coconut monsters from the cartoon Moana (the Kakamora?)


Some chandelier thingy which people called art… Actually it’s, hmmm let’s see… The Fountain of Light, by Ai Weiwei

Now, for some paintings…


Napoleon Crossing the Alps


Leonardo da Vinci’s painting of a woman… OK, it’s not Mona Lisa, but at least we have one…


One of Van Gogh’s Self Portraits


Wait, what’s that? It’s a famous painting?!? My kid could draw that! Piet Mondrian’s Composition in Blue, Red, Yellow and Black, 1922


Anu, at the Louvre Abu Dhabi


C’mon, let’s go! It’s getting dark… And that’s how we spent our Chinese New Year’s Day (of 2018) in a museum! Cool, eh?

No comments: