Sunday, 30 July 2017

A Train Ride up the Alps


Gornergrat, Canton of Valais, Switzerland – with the Matterhorn in the background

Here’re more pictures from the nicest day of our 2015 Europe trip! Our tryst with the Matterhorn.

One of the difficulties in creating a post, especially a holiday related post, is friggin sorting out the photos! Once that’s done, the post is a breeze. And that’s the case for this one! After that last post, I have a treasure trove of Matterhorn pictures, hehe. Here goes!


Views of the countryside from the Gornergrat Bahn (Gornergrat Rail) en route to Gornergrat, with Mount Matterhorn, looming behind

Yeah, we took the Gornergrat Bahn (Gornergrat Rail) from Zermatt up to Gornergrat. It’ll blow a big hole in your pocket. But what doesn’t, in Switzerland? If I recall correctly, each return ticket costs something like 80 – 90 Swiss Francs, a whopping 350 dirhams per person! But the views up there, are definitely worth it!!! On a nice sunny day. (Don’t waste your money if it’s cloudy…)




Anu & Justin with the Gorner Glacier

And here’s a link to another picture of Justin at Gornergrat.


A view of the mountains from Gornergrat


Anu and the Kulmhotel, Gornergrat, Switzerland


Chapel, Gornergrat

On the way down, we stopped at Rotenboden station (the second highest station, after Gornergrat, you can stop at any station), and spent a li’l time hiking …or more correctly, wandering around and taking photos (go ahead, try hiking on a hill track, with a baby pram, and see how fun that is!)




The Riffelsee (name of the lake) and the Matterhorn

And here’s a link to a photo of little Jayden having a field day at Riffelsee.




Our little mountain adventure at Rotenboden, Gornergrat


“I love to go, a wandering, along the mountain track, and as I go, I love to sing, with a knapsack on my back” (…and a baby on my front)


The Gorner Glacier, from Rotenboden

2 comments:

Aswana said...

I must must and must go to this place by train too... thank you for sharing bro!
Btw, my husband and I are leaving for Hajj a day after tomorrow.. thereafter, I hope he and I can explore the world at our own pace.

Furient said...

Congrats! So you did get your place on the Hajj this year! Great to hear that. Take care, it's mighty hot this time of the year in the Middle East. Remember to keep yourselves hydrated. Drink lots of water, and stay in the shade where possible.