Saturday, 13 August 2016

Lugano & the Lakes

Another picture post coming up! Still friggin busy. Here’s a continuation of where I left off in my last post.


Lake Como, Italy – from a few hundred metres north of Villa Olmo, Como

Here’re pictures of Lugano, a city in the southern, Italian-speaking part of Switzerland, and the lakes near Milan, Italy. We spent a total of 2 days and a night in Italy. What can we do in 2 days? Let’s see… Why don’t we see a couple o’ lakes, visit a major city (Milan) and squeeze in a World Expo? Is that too much? Umm… if we don’t waste time, I think we could pull it off. Did we finally? Let’s say it didn’t turn out too well, but at least we tried! Here goes…


Lago di Lugano (Lake Lugano), Switzerland from Lugano’s Parco Civico – sigh, sky still grey & cloudy…


Justin & mommy, at the Parco Civico, Lugano, Canton of Ticino, Switzerland


Lugano, from the Ristorante Capo San Martino (sky seems to be clearing up, yippee!) – Leaving Lugano for Italy. Ciao!

Why Lugano? There’re a few reasons why I chose Lugano as a stopping point. 1) It’s on the way. 2) Some reviewer said it’s better than staying in Milan if you have a car. (Nope, cars aren’t allowed in the city’s centre, too congested and there’re restricted zones which will get you a fine. Just take a train). And 3) well, Lugano was the first part of Switzerland I saw in my first and only prior trip to Europe in 1994. We were in Italy, and travelled by train from Milan to Zurich. That particular day was a beautiful sunny day, and I remember how mesmerized I was with the whole journey – the beautiful scenery, the signboards on the train stations changing slowly from Italian, to a bilingual Italian & German, and to only German when we arrived in Zurich. (Travelling west from Zurich towards Geneva, will let you experience the signboards slowly changing from German to French!) Since then, I’ve always wondered how Lugano and the Ticino region is like.






The Gardens of Villa Olmo, Como, Lombardy Region, Italy


Lake Como (Lago di Como) from Villa Olmo – somehow the main attractions around the Lakes seem to be old villas of rich people and the odd church and castle

We drove along another lake (Lago Maggiore) on our way back into Switzerland, after a night’s stay in Italy. Our motto for trips: "Every Time a Different Route" (if we can help it, that is). Ciao Italy! Till we meet again! And I’m pretty sure we will! (Fingers-crossed).


Lago Maggiore, from the Piazza del Popolo, Arona – with a view of the Rocca Borromeo (Borromeo Fortress) across the lake


The Piazza del Popolo in Arona – a quaint little Italian town on the banks of Lake Maggiore, ...even better when there's a little car in it like in this picture. Reminds me of 'The Italian Job' hehe


Another picture of the Piazza del Popolo, Arona, Piedmont Region, Italy


Evening at Lago Maggiore, in Stresa, near the Grand Hotel des Iles Borromees


Boat departing Stresa for Isola Bella, one of the Borromean Islands (on the extreme left). Isola Madre, another of the Borromean Islands is on the centre, right of the picture

2 comments:

Aswana said...

Yeay.. you have arrived at Lugano!!! I was there long long time ago

Furient said...

Yeah! Finally stopped in Lugano! And yes, I saw your post of Lugano in your blog. You visited in 2006, right?