The Western Ghats at dusk, from near Arthur’s Seat, Mahabaleshwar, Maharashtra
Another view at dusk from Arthur’s Seat
Here’re more pictures of the Western Ghats. The Western Ghats are a range of mountains running down the entire western side of India but they’re not true mountains. They’re actually a range of cliffs forming the edge of a plateau, the Deccan Plateau, where most of the middle part of southern India actually sits on, (and where the big cities of Pune, Bangalore and Hyderabad are located). If you go from the coast (i.e. Mumbai or Goa) inland, towards Pune, you’ll have to go up these huge cliffs to reach the central part of India.
And that’s about all I’ll write this time, ...thanks to the bloody tiring and thankless job.
Somewhere near Lonavala, half way between Mumbai and Pune. This picture is from Lion Point if I’m not mistaken (or is it Tiger Point?!?)
A view of Lonavala, from ...Lion Point?
The Karla Caves, near Lonavala – the interior of this Buddhist cave is even more impressive, but since it’s similar to the ones in Ajanta and Ellora (which I am gonna post soon... yeah, really, no kidding, ...I think), I’ll leave these out for now.
The hill where the Karla Caves are located. In ancient times, there’s nothing much to do, but to carve temples out of the mountain side. Luckily for them, now there’s something worth seeing.
Anu, at the Karla Caves
The steps up to the Karla Caves, not really pleasant during the hot and dry time that we stopped by.
The start of the walk up to the Bhaja Caves. We gave up after looking at the height of the mountain behind.
Half way between Aurangabad and Dhule, near the northern boundary of Maharashtra. Technically, this is not the Western Ghats. It’ll be more like the Northern Ghats if there’s such a thing, as I think this is the northern edge of the Deccan Plateau. Taken during one of my site excursions.
Somewhere nearer to Mumbai, Matheran – this was one place that I’ve never been to personally. This picture was taken by Anu, Kim or Dad back in Jan 2007, on a day trip, right after I and Anu got together and when I had to make a trip back to Malaysia alone to extend my visa.
No comments:
Post a Comment